Monday, May 23, 2011

May 20

This morning I packed up and loaded my stuff into the van and we left. The first house we visited is the one I will be staying with. They have pigs and chickens, and also work on the farm. Dave and I were having a conversation with a huge sow. We were snorting and she would snort back. Then Dave says: "yeah? Well in English we say oink. Can you say oink?" That struck us both pretty funny, and we both had a good laugh. Then we
moved on to the next house. This family has ten children, 9 girls and 1 boy. The mother can speak a little English and is teaching her kids as well. They also had a pig. This time Dave asked if it could "spreckenzie doitch?" We went in to eat and Opa hung a spoon on his nose for the kids. This caused great excitement and one asked if he had a magnet in his nose. That got a great deal of laughter out of the group. After that, we visited another family who owns chickens, a few pigs, and two large greenhouses. The greenhouses contain zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, and potatoes from what we could see. It is another one of our self help projects, we set them up with materials and such and they do the work and eventually pay us back. From there, we went to the church in kovacice. It was very large, able to seat 600 people. It bad a very nice lunchroom upstairs. after that, we visited another nice church. This church could also accommodate many people. It had a very large lunchroom downstairs. They we stuccoing while we were there. The drive to the next church was over an hour. I feel like an idiot because I fell asleep and drooled on myself. The house that we stopped at was near a huge hill in the middle of a very flat plain. The family owns chickens and pigs, but mostly farms. We bad lunch there. Then we drove across town to the church. The church was very nice. Opa was telling some jokes. A man got hit by a bird and he said: "if that was a bird, I'm sure glad cows don't fly." one of the sisters at this church owns one of the bikes that we sent money for several years ago. Then we said our farewells, and I parted from our group till Sunday. I stayed with the Murtins. The parents are Ondrej and Branislava. They have six kids: Dejan, Danijel, David, Natalija, Andrej and Matej As we drove to their home, Matej and I went round and round. He would poke me and then jump back giggling. I would pretend to ignore it for a time or two and then suddenly turn around and attack him with a roar and a good tickling. He would collapse in a fit of laughter which was of course infectious. Danijel, Ondrej, and myself were soon laughing along. When we arrived at the gate, Dejan was just arriving home from school. I have this odd gap in my memory, and I'm not really sure what belongs there. I have notes for Sunday and Monday, but I don't want to post them until Dejan emails me back and helps me fill in for Friday night and Saturday. I haven't forgotten you :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Benjy :) Danijel speaking :)
    We don't have chikens if that was our house you were reffering to... And when you fell asleep, you were drooling? I didn't even notice... Don't worry, dad was watching on the road (he didn't even know that you fell asleep) and I was sitting in the back so didn't notice... So no worries :))
    You SHOULD come again....

    I had english class today and I told my teacher about that *you should* phrase and she laughed ;)

    Greetings from Serbia :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those names! Sounds like a totally awesome day. :)

    ReplyDelete